Each year I like to look back over the previous year, and then set goals for the coming year. Many people do this on Jan 1st; I prefer to do it on my birthday. I often refine the accomplishments and goals until my new year, Samhain, but the bulk of the work is done on or around my birthday. I also like to do a tarot reading (and other’s readings of me are ALWAYS welcomed).
This year has a lot going on: it’s a year ending in -5, which are always a BIG deal . . . but we’re not doing anything extravagant. In fact, it’s a very low-key, fun weekend. Exercise, good food, entertainment . . . I’m getting a chance to read a lot of books, do some writing (I have a few articles due this week, because I am going on holiday next week), work with the class, and maybe see a movie. On my actual birthday, it’s up early for brekkies, off to water aerobics, then hustling up to Seattle for a 4 hour session at Habitude (pedicure, hydrating salt scrub, and a 90 min massage). After that we’re going to see Samsara with friends and then have dinner. The ‘big’ celebration is actually next weekend, when we’re going with a HUGE bunch of people to dim sum, and maybe Raiders of the Lost Ark (in IMAX) afterwards. 🙂
What can I say? It doesn’t take much to please me.
This year, I accomplished:
- Exercised 3+ times week. My regimen is a mix of Muay Thai, water aerobics, and Pilates.
- Fully funded my 401(k).
- Paid down the mortgage significantly (we are on track to pay off one in 2 years, and the other in 15).
- Planned, with J., a wedding ceremony and day that reflected us in all of our strange glory while still being fun for all who attended.
- PLAY. Lots more time was spent reading, including whole new series of books. Lots more biographies, and more fantastical characters.
- Converted nearly all of my files to softcopy.
- Inventoried our books.
- Updated and rated music inventory.
- Passed the SPHR.
- Sold four articles to Llewellyn which will publish in 2014.
- Continued to be more social and involved in my friends lives.
- Opened my new business, Dawnspring HR.
- A really awesome series of birthday gifts and events for J’s 40th.
- Started SOMA with the fabulous Carli Herris.
- Continued with Muay Thai — in a manner that has consistently impressed my instructor. (Yes! *fist pump*)
This coming year, I want to accomplish:
- Create a system of advanced lessons with my coven
- Develop coven leaders’ handbook
- Make a garden
- Exercise five times/week (Muay Thai 2x, Pilates 1x, Aquafit 1x, strength training 1x, swim 1x — yes, it’s 6, but I want to over-achieve on this one)
- Organize and compile scrap books.
- Finish another needlepoint project.
- Convert DVDs to softcopy on our media server.
- Get 10 clients for Dawnspring HR.
- Start composting (vermiculture) and install water barrels.
- Take a cooking class (from my bucket list).
- Cook all meals for a month (no dining out) (from my bucket list).
- Buy a rental property (from my bucket list).
- Take up Tai Chi or Belly Dancing (from my bucket list).
- Organize electronic files (better) (from my bucket list).
- Finish Household Binder (from my bucket list).
- Travel somewhere on the Bucket List.
My annual tarot reading will be in the next post.
(For a look at last year’s post, go here.)